3-4 Shetland teams will generally be formed through a combination of partially preformed teams of returners and all players added by random draw performed by League Director, Vice Commissioner and/or Board of Directors
1. At the official player draft, there will be a limit of two representatives for each team, of which only one will be the spokesman.
2. Draft position will be based on a random draw. This position will be held the entire draft. Team name and practice field assignments will be chosen in reverse order of the draft position.
Note: If the draft has an odd number of rounds, or if there aren't a sufficient number of players to complete the last round evenly, the players available in the last round will still be drafted in the order of the draft previously determined by the team draw. Similarly, any late additions will be added to the next team in the remaining draft order as assigned by the League Director.
4. The draft will start with the first position in the draft order making the first selection in the odd numbered rounds. The last position in the draft will make the first selection in the even numbered rounds. A team will not participate in a draft round in which a player has already been chosen through Optioning of the player or the sibling or through drafting of a sibling. This procedure will continue until all players are selected. No team shall have more than eight (8) players from the older age group within its respective division.
5. Each team will be permitted up to three options. The options shall be the manager's child, the primary assistant coach’s child and the secondary assistant coach’s child. The primary and secondary assistant coaches must have agreed to be assistants prior to the draft. If a manager does not have a child participating, he/she may elect to freeze another player with written permission from his/her parent or guardian. This letter must be submitted to the vice commissioner or league director before the draft. If a coach does not option his/her own child, that child will not be eligible to play on his/her respective team. No options are provided for a manager who does not have either a primary or secondary assistant coach or for an assistant coach who does not have a child participating.
6. Where a option player has a sibling in the same age division, the older sibling must be designated the option player. A sibling of a drafted or optioned player will be the second available choice after the first sibling was drafted, within the structure of the draft.
7. The option player (and sibling, if applicable) must be selected in the round that the player was classified. If a option player(s) is included in the first round grouping, the option player must be the first selection for that age group. If a option player is not included in the first round grouping, the option player must be selected in the second or third round for the applicable age group - in accordance with the player ratings and related groupings. If the option player(s) or sibling did not attend Coach Look, the option player(s) or sibling must be selected as the first choice available in that player's age group.
8. Any first year player not attending Coach Look will have his/her name placed in a container. At any time after completion of the last rounds, a coach may choose to draw from the container as his selection.
9. The draw rules are the same as the draft rules except the players being selected will be drawn from the container.
10. If there are teams with incomplete rosters after the conclusion of the draft, teams will be filled as each new player registers in the order of the draft order previously determined by the draft random draw.
Pony teams will generally be formed through a combination of partially preformed teams and a draft. A Manager may bring players including the assistant coaches (as long as the player’s parents have agreed to play for manager prior to the draft). Players who have not agreed to play for a manager who have registered may participate in a Coach Look. Depending on the number of registrants and the number of partially preformed team, the League director and Vice Commissioner will facilitate a draft with the objective of creating competitively balanced teams. In most cases this will entail treating the players who have agreed to play with a manager to be freezes. However, in some cases, the League Commissioner may decide to place certain players on a team to create competitive balance.
Players will be in three categories as follows:
Time and place of the draft will be left up to the Football Commissioner for the utmost convenience and benefit of RYA. The Director of Football Commissioner will be in charge of the overall draft and will be responsible for rule interpretations and procedures. Total registration will determine the number of players on a team. Total number of players of any one age cannot exceed 9, unless after final registrations there are more older per team than Younger per team in the Division. (The Director and his vice-commissioners will determine the final number before or at the beginning of draft) This also applies to Coaches Options. For example: if a team has 9 returning older players, that team will not be allowed to take any older players or older options.
All teams will be composed of no less than 14, and no more than 16 players, if possible. Number in excess could necessitate the need for an expansion team.
Each team will be allowed two representatives at the draft table, The Head Coach and his Official Assistant Coach. (Both coaches must be listed in the online data base as coaches for their team, and must be NYSCA Certified) Each representative will be considered an official head/assistant coach and their child must be taken as an option. There will be no swapping of coaches at the draft table once the draft has started.
No draft will take place until all teams have a Head and or an Assistant Coach present. (The director or his Vice commissioner will draft for that team if they are not present)
Coach’s options shall be turned in to the Director or Vice Commissioner no later than one week prior to the draft or by the end of the Coaches Look Camp.
Draft order will be determined by random draw.
The draft will begin with the announcement to the Head Coach as to their returnees.
Commissioners will request and announce returners and options for placement on the draft board.
Each team will be entitled to three options. At no time will any team have more than three. An Assistant Coach with a son or daughter option must be an active coach approved by the Football Commissioner.
Time and place of the draft will be left to the discretion of the Basketball Director for the utmost convenience and benefit of RYA. The Basketball Commissioner will be in charge of the overall draft and will be responsible for rule interpretations and procedures.
Total registration will determine the number of players on a team. All teams will be composed of no less than seven (7) and no more than ten (10) players. Numbers in excess could necessitate formulation of an expansion team.
Each team will be allowed two (2) representatives at the draft table, designated by the Head Coach. No draft will be held until all teams have a Head and/or Assistant coach present. The draft will begin with the announcement to the Head Coaches as to their returning players
Coaches Options - Each team is allowed to bring up to the maximum number of players that the registration numbers allow.
Drafting for expansion team (5) will be as follows: Draw like everyone else